Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Tuesday 28 May 2013

66. Imperfect Poet


66.
Imperfect Poet

Sqeezed from me by pain and sorrow comes the truth.
Eternal essence, joy of my youth!
Will there be a glad tomorrow?
I lie on my torture rack, will you knife me in the back?
Oh thou, oh greatest One of these, who lives in rivers, flowers, trees, in the smile of a young child, 
am I by the other one beguiled?
Who may free me from this Hell except myself, oh well, oh well.
Oh well of water, fresh and pure, I bathe in thee, may thou endure.
My tears I cry. Before I die may I not be a living lie.
I ask myself, I wonder why, oh who and what and where am I?
Reunite once more with truth. Joy of joys, come hither youth!
A passing glance, a girl, a dance, oh innocence, oh chance, my chance!
May I choose life, choose love, choose hope, this life is my rescue rope.
I take a step, I stumble, falter, oh truth, my truth, you are my altar.
You are my one, my only goal, you are the truth, you make me whole.
Tomorrow and today be one! Be not like me, eternal son!
You may laugh and you may sneer, I say, I sing, the truth is here!
This is at once a plea, a prayer to the man who isn’t there.
The man is me, the man is you, let us pray, be true, be true!
True for you, they say in Cork, and so I say, in talk, just talk.
The truth is buried deep inside, in this life I laugh, I cried.
So may the truth be born again and once more walk among men.
Man embraces woman, the word, the thing, must I say that, must I sing?
I love music, birds and flowers, I enjoy happy hours.
Jesus Christ, must I spell it out?
We were born, without a doubt.
I’m not much good, I know that too.
Should I say, the same to you?
Good is all, oh let it be! Who said the truth shall set you free?
It wasn’t me.
I will say it one more time.
Love is no crime.
It is against man’s law to love.
Heaven’s above!
Should I say, Hell below?
Goodbye, I really have to go.
However, I am always here.
Enjoy your beer.
I am the man who doesn’t know.
I told you so.




No comments:

Post a Comment