Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Sunday 5 May 2013

30. The Elvis Interview


30.
The Elvis Interview

How goes it with you?
Cool, man.
Why did you shake?
I felt the quake.
How do you sing the way you do?
It’s all in the feel, man.
Are you real, man?
The real thing, man. I shake, I sing, man.
Do you wear shades?
Everglades.
What’s that you say?
I’m here to stay.
They called you a moron, a gigolo, a hillbilly fool.
They picked that up at school.
No one remembered you at Humes High.
I had to live, I had to die.
You looked good in your coffin, you always looked good.
Luck comes to all, touch wood.
You put yourself into it, heart and soul.
That’s rock ’n’ roll.
Should I end this interview?
I would, if I was you.
You ain’t nothin’ but a hound dog, don’t be cruel, I’m all shook up, treat me like a fool, you sang them all.
I heard the call.
Do you dig the beat?
Heart, soul, sacroiliac and feet.
Your music lives on.
I’m gone man, gone.
Does God love Rock ‘n’ Roll?
He is its soul.
Rhythm and blues and that old blues stuff, do you dig that too?
Where would I be without it? This bird flew.
When alive, did you feel in a cage?
It made me rage. I did not age. I took the stage. I chose to sing, not shout. That’s what it’s all about.
Is this conversation forever?
Yes and no, I gotta go.
You live on. And on, and on, and on.
It’s short, it’s long. Sing your song.
Goodbye, Elvis.
I am and was the Pelvis.
Hang up. Shook up. Fuck up. Shut up. Clink clink. I’m going for a drink.




No comments:

Post a Comment