Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Friday 24 May 2013

62. Words And Numbers


62.
Words And Numbers

Numbers are words but words are not numbers.
When we realise this we may awake from our slumbers.

What do I mean? Exactly what I say.
Should I mean anything else on this, or any day?

You may say I make a joke.
Am I sorry I spoke?

Not half. Laugh.

Cry and you cry alone, the saying goes.
There sure is a lot of crying, and it shows.

Pardon, I must blow my nose.

So, okay, back to square one again.
What does it all mean, then?

This numbers thing, words, you know the ropes.
Please don’t treat us like silly dopes.

Yeah, well, okay, numbers count things, words are names of things, numbers are not, so which counts most?
The Father the Son or the Holy Ghost?

There you have me, I hear you say, as you turn to go away.

Numbers don’t count, that’s what I’m saying to you.
That, for what it’s worth, is my point of view.

Numbers don’t count sounds funny.
Things are worth more than money.

What of life and love and happiness?
Are they worth everything or more or less?

Don’t guess.
Say yes.




No comments:

Post a Comment