Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Monday 29 April 2013

20. Arles


20.
Arles

Sometimes it was painting in the dark.
Not that you were dark, dearest, only sometimes opaque.
Then I would hold you close as secrets
And search your face for the gap 
Where moonlight pierces clouds
That I might see you ungirdled in the garden,
That I might see you as you are, unguarded.

Sometimes, witch, you were wheat fields of Arles
With summer smearing honey on your lips.
I could smell earth;
And what I could not smell, I tasted
And what I could not taste my eyes drank in
And what remained seeped through my skin,
And when I heard your little gasp, I also heard
Three sisters dark at the back door,
Stepping in.

They brook no argument; no time for that.
Autumns come. Moons set.

We were at the Cafe Terrace
when a woman next table said,
“Je ne vais rien regretter, même pas toi.”
Our eyes met; we knew she did not mean it.

Autumns come. Moons set.


1 comment:

  1. This poem should have placed. Arles was a far better poem than the 2nd and 3rd place poems.

    ReplyDelete