Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Sunday 5 May 2013

31. Squeedonker Sonnet


31.
Squeedonker Sonnet

When early morning light began to glow,
with you and I cupped close like two rose petals,
before we spoke our morning words of love
the kona winds spoke of plumeria--
returning from the ocean of the night
where dreams did toss from you to me
and waking to the realm of worldly life,
a fat bird intoned a nasal greeting:
"Squeedonk, squeedonk!" I woke in laughter.
You swore, "I should have shot it with my gun."
I said, "Nature sings with the squeedonker".
And soon the bird was mascot of our love.
The Christmas and New Year wore silver rain,
with women glittering in your shadow:
I woke alone when the squeedonker sang,
an empty woman in an empty following
alone with justice and a lonely moral;
we do not understand our oracles.



No comments:

Post a Comment