Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Thursday 25 April 2013

1. At the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall


1.
At the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall

Haunted for years I went to the Wall 
a war resister facing soldiers who died 
looking at the Wall, my crying eyes 
reflected with all those forgone lives 
they made the sacrifice I refused 
what sacrifice should I have made? 
if it was right why do I feel guilty? 

I stood there a long time looking
all those names, some guys I knew
someone crying, my eyes are dry
coming home was worse than the war
lifelong friends, tho I have nightmares
greatest time of my life and the worst
may never know if it was worth it

Never knew what hit me (land mine)
never knew what I died for (politics)
drafted out of my life into death
I owed my country and what a payback
flown back in a box, saw the parade
my sacrifice a memory no one wants
my country sent me to die for nothing



No comments:

Post a Comment