Don't forget to 'like' your favourite poems on the
People's Poetry Competition Facebook Page!

Saturday 22 June 2013

78. Here In The Life Of An Unknown Poet


78.
Here In The Life Of An Unknown Poet

I am not a woman people envy for her confident, got-it-all-together stride.
I am not the person who is called to offer prayer in a gathering of Christians.
I do not sing like an angel, or paint beauty into hungry and inspired artists’ minds.
I am not that woman. I’m not destined for dizzy fame or breathless stolen kisses.

I am a woman who smiles at grasshoppers, and lifts her face to smell rain.
I am a woman standing in the middle of a muddy pasture with hay in her hair.
I am a woman who loses her giggles in quiet corners of inappropriate places.
I am the one who wants to chance wearing purple with green, but chooses black.

I am the mother who knows a special child is always on stage, and should dress accordingly.
I am the desperate daughter and sister who kneels to confess pain before cold headstones.
I am a jealous lover of time, and all things I missed before heaven thrust me 
wet, screaming, and angry into the unprepared arms of my religious mother.

I am not someone you would remember meeting on a sidewalk in Paris.
I am a woman who drops her papers in the crowded hallways of life.
I leave bits of myself to be sorted for future generations to read and wonder; 
“Who was she, to find herself deserving of a legacy in love and words?”




No comments:

Post a Comment